You will adore this straightforward potato soup recipe with Italian sausage, potatoes, garlic, and kale. The soup is comforting and extremely-flavorful. Soar to the Straightforward Sausage Potato Soup Recipe or study on to see our tips for generating it.
There are heaps of ways to make potato soup, but this recipe with sausage and kale is our favourite. It’s rustic and complete of flavor. No one wants a flavorless soup, right?
How to Make the Very best Potato Soup
Our potato and sausage soup is savory, comforting, and retains nicely in the fridge. If you’ve ever had Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup, this potato soup is equivalent (even though, I’d wager it’s much better). We’ve been creating a edition of it for several years.
This potato soup recipe is basic so the ingredients you use subject. Here’s the rundown for you:
- Potatoes: You can use any variety of potato, but we highly suggest utilizing Yukon Gold potatoes. There’s no require to peel them, and when cooked, they are buttery and virtually melt in your mouth. We use Yukon Gold potatoes to make mashed potatoes, also. If you can’t uncover them, infant pink or white potatoes, as effectively as russet potatoes, will work.
- Italian Sausage: Depending on your spice choice, you can use sweet Italian sausage or sizzling (spicy) Italian sausage. We use sweet Italian sausage and then change the soup spice amount with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stock/Broth: For the most flavor, use a excellent high quality rooster stock from the retailer or use selfmade. When reaching for shop-purchased broth, we go for reduced-sodium. We also look for a retailer-bought broth that’s darker in color (usually indicates more flavor) and because it normally has much more of a backbone, we like to buy boxed bone broth (we use selfmade bone broth often, too).
- Milk: We blend rooster inventory with milk for the soup broth. The chicken inventory adds flavor, and the milk tends to make the broth creamy and much more magnificent. We desire two% milk or complete milk for this. You can use skim milk, but it won’t add almost as significantly creaminess. If you’re dairy-free, leave the milk out. The soup will nonetheless flavor great. If you don’t have milk, but have product (or half-and-half) on hand, boost the inventory called for in the recipe and incorporate a splash of cream to the soup just ahead of serving.
- Herbs and spices: The Italian sausage presently supplies a good deal of taste, but introducing garlic, dried oregano, nutmeg, and a bay leaf make the soup style remarkable. If you have some, a number of sprigs of refreshing thyme is a nice touch, as well. For some heat, we really like adding crushed pink pepper flakes, but that’s up to your preferences.
- Kale: For shade and texture, we stir in chopped kale towards to conclude of cooking. To put together kale, strip the leaves from the stalks (the stalks are way too challenging for this soup). Then chop or tear into bite-measurement pieces. Little one kale leaves perform, way too and don’t demand any chopping. You can also use spinach, Swiss chard or other greens as a substitute.
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan is an optional component, but if you have some on hand, it adds a pretty richness to the potato soup.
Creating sausage and potato soup is straightforward, and it all happens in a single pot! Here’s an overview of how to make it (the full potato soup recipe is underneath).
- Brown the sausage.
- Incorporate the onions to the sausage and cook until gentle.
- Stir in the garlic, herbs, and spices.
- Incorporate the stock and milk then deliver to a lower simmer.
- Include the potatoes and cook dinner, partially covered, until finally tender.
- Stir in the kale and parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning, and then provide!
If you liked this potato soup recipe, right here are a few far more favorites:
- If you have leftover potatoes, make potato salad!
- For the morning, consider grating a potato and including it to scrambled eggs. That’s what we do when creating our effortless breakfast tacos with potatoes and peppers.
- Potato soup is absolute comfort foods, but so is this extremely-satisfying chicken noodle soup recipe (it’s so excellent!).
- We use potatoes as a base for our creamy vegetable soup. It has heaps of five-star evaluations.